Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:07:31 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2017-11-23 at 14:14 -0000, Paul Groves wrote:

Someone said to me the other day that it is possible to convert a linux install ISO, such as openSUSE, Fedora or Ubuntu and put it on floppy disks to install from directly with no CD.

Of course it would be very impractical and also would use many floppies. But then perhaps it could be useful for some uses (although I could not imagine any).

Forget about converting an entire CD to floppies, too many. What was done back in the day by SuSE was to boot the computer using floppies, as much as 3, perhaps 3 (including variants). Once the kernel and a minimal system was booted, it loaded the rest from CD or from internet.

The idea was simply to bypass a CD drive that would not boot. The idea might be expanded to a non bootable USB stick (because the BIOS did not support them), but I don't remember testing that.

If you go searching for a mirror having a SuSE 7.3 or earlier, you will see in it the floppy images. I haven't checked myself now, so the version could be wrong and you need a 6.x.

Doing this for a recent distro? Would be doable, from scratch. I don't know about "converting" or using the current iso generation methodology.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.