Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:55:54 +0100
Op donderdag 23 november 2017 15:14:57 CET schreef Paul Groves:
Someone said to me the other day that it is possible to convert a linux
install ISO, such as openSUSE, Fedora or Ubuntu and put it on floppy
disks to install from directly with no CD.

Of course it would be very impractical and also would use many floppies.
But then perhaps it could be useful for some uses (although I could not
imagine any).

Now personally I have a few floppies with PLOP bootloader on them. I
haven't used them for a while but occasionally I will come across a
computer with a botched CD drive or the USB ports will not work in the
BIOS so it is useful to boot to PLOP then choose the linux USB or CD.

However, I was quite intrigued by this floppy idea and thought it would
be a good proof of concept. What ways are there that one would could use
to achieve this?

Before going on with this, try to put some of your photos, music on floppy
disk. What happens there is just the beginning. And then, lets assume you
succeed in putting the distro on floppies incl #1 being bootable. A simple
calculation tells us that you would have to use 3146 floppies, 29.7 kgs of
coffee, 318 bottles of beer to perform the install, and preferably do this
whilst sitting on the toilet with your pants down to miss nothing. Do not fall
asleep. And create a timelapse video, not a realtime video. :D
When it's done I have a next idea: make the machine run on electric current
from lightning by connecting it to a metal kite.

Thank you for the fun I had thinking about this.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team