Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
On 11/23/2017 09:24 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
In my DatabaseOfDotSigQuotes I have the line:

If I still had 8" floppy drives I'd be much more concerned
about hardware failures, storage capacity and performance
issues than BS viruses.

I admit that 5" floppies would have fewer issues than 8" floppies, but
nostalgia
has its problems. Vinyl audio may be interesting and so is steam railway, but
at least film photography has some colour/optical/dynamic range benefits.

I think linux-on-a-floppy is of limited interest to only a hard-core group,
even
more hard-core than the KDE3 group, and as such probably warrants its own ML.

I recall my first attempt at installing Linux (Yggdrasil). I had to go
to a FTP site and try to figure out what packages I needed to download
and then copy them to floppy. Back then my Linux reference was "The
Linux Bible Gnu Testament".

BTW, I recall working with 8" hard sector floppies on Data General
computers. I also worked with 8" floppies on VAX 11/780 systems, but
don't recall if they were hard or soft sector. I first saw 8" floppies
with an IBM system, at a customer site in 1977, but didn't actually work
with them. I was there to resolve a modem problem.