Re: [opensuse] btrfs rollback gives dead display manager
  • From: listreader <suselist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 16:03:13 -0600
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:22:56 +0000
Dave Howorth <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Any ideas? Thanks.

Go to the backup? You do have a backup?

No. This is a brand new machine being prepared. Snapshots should be
perfectly sufficient for this case. No user data either.

After a possibly ill-advised sideload upgrade/fix of a perl app, I
tried to do a btrfs rollback

Normally installing or changing a perl program shouldn't affect the
system at all, thanks to the clever way the PERLPATH is searched.
Unless you tried to monkey patch a system-installed perl component?
(Don't do that, BTW, install a local copy first from CPAN before
patching it if still necessary).

No. This *was* from CPAN. Unfortunately the 1st fix to a previously
working program doesn't work with the calling program. I can tell from
the snapshots which files were created/changed/etc but there are a ton
of them and I was trying to avoid picking through and deleting them;
just rolling back would be nice and easy. This is what snapshots are
supposed to be for, no? So why did I end up with a dead display
manager?

FWIW, the original 'fix' has been 'fixed' 4 times since last night 8-/
so I think I will just wait until someone in factory catches up to it,
they are only 2 of those revs behind at last check, just a few hours.
Amazing. I just have/had no patience.

Another FWIW, the perl is finance::quote (a.k.a. perl-Finance-Quote in
software.opensuse) and the reason for all the activity is that yahoo /
verizon has killed without warning their decades old free api that
provided financial quotes and that also killed a lot of finance
programs that depended on it. So the switch is on to convert to a new
free api provider (yes! there is one.)

Ralph