Re: [opensuse] openSUSE merits a better home page
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 17:40:57 +0100
Op maandag 6 november 2017 11:55:44 CET schreef Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:
Op maandag 6 november 2017 04:26:25 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:
El 2017-11-05 a las 22:04 -0500, Patrick Shanahan escribió:
* Patrick Shanahan <> [11-05-17 21:49]:
* Carlos E. R. <> [11-05-17 21:37]:
El 2017-11-05 a las 20:19 -0500, Felix Miata escribió:
On Thursday, 2017-11-02 at 22:21 -0000, Wols Lists wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
Personally, I love the SuSE name. I don't use it because some people
get
somewhat pissed, so I use the modern name instead. Thus I only use
SuSE
when I want to stress the point that I'm talking about is old times.

It's pretty common to prefer nicks to polysyllabic names. In a
written
context, SuSE was a good name, openSUSE very bad. Exactly how is one
supposed to write it as a first word of a sentence? That there would
be any question is what makes it bad, not whatever the answer may be.

Reminds me. There is an old bug with the speller in open/libre Office:
it
does not accept "end of sentence. openSUSE ..." as correct. I just
checked:
LO still corrects openSUSE to OpenSUSE.

you have the ability to correct your dictionary, don't you.

and after further investigation: my libreoffice oowriter says
"openSUSE"
is correct as is and I do not recall ever checking that before.

Try again, at the start of a sentence. My LO autocorrects it to OpenSUSE,
no matter what I do. If yours doesn't, you have disabled the
autocorrector as you type.

--
Cheers

Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" (Minas Tirith))

Just tried, LO says openSUSE. Even if I myseld write OpenSUSE it corrects
that to openSUS, no matter whether it's the start of a sentence ( Option
for capitals is on ) or in the middle. Of course this could be a
localization thing,.
Correcting myself. Had "whilst typing" off for the Capital.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team