Re: [opensuse] "OpenSUSE" spelling in libreooffice [Was: openSUSE merits a better home page]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 15:48:02 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2017-11-06 at 15:34 +0100, gumb wrote:
On 06/11/17 15:11, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I just tried in a new user (USA locale. Leap 42.2). I typed "openSUSE" on
the blank page, pressed [ENTER], and instantly, the word was converted to
OpenSUSE. I correct the first "O" to "o", go to the end of the word, type
a space, and again the word is capitalized. It is a rule, the first word
of a sentence must be capitalized, and at least in English, there are no
exceptions, no method that I know to add exceptions.

In fact, "OpenSUSE" appears underlined in red, the speller says there is
an error. One of the suggestions is in fact "openSUSE", and holds as long
as you don't press "space" or [enter] close to the word. If there is an
intermediate space the autocorrector does not trigger.

This has been known since ever.

I have not tried recently on a new user with Spanish locale, but I could.

I think you have to do a Ctrl-Z (or whatever the Undo shortcut is in your locale) straight after the autocorrect occurs to effectively tell it to accept what you've typed.

Yes, but that first deletes the new line or the space you typed. As soon as you add the space, because you need to separate words, you know, it uppercases the word again.

The trick is to add the space or newline, let the autocorrection do the thing, then go back to retype, then go to the end of the line taking care not to press [space] or [enter] right close to the "openSUSE" word.

It is more tricky on a calc sheet.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.