Re: [opensuse] openSUSE merits a better home page
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 03:36:16 +0100 (CET)

El 2017-11-05 a las 20:19 -0500, Felix Miata escribió:
On Thursday, 2017-11-02 at 22:21 -0000, Wols Lists wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Personally, I love the SuSE name. I don't use it because some people get
somewhat pissed, so I use the modern name instead. Thus I only use SuSE
when I want to stress the point that I'm talking about is old times.

It's pretty common to prefer nicks to polysyllabic names. In a written context,
SuSE was a good name, openSUSE very bad. Exactly how is one supposed to write it
as a first word of a sentence? That there would be any question is what makes it
bad, not whatever the answer may be.

Reminds me. There is an old bug with the speller in open/libre Office: it does not accept "end of sentence. openSUSE ..." as correct. I just checked: LO still corrects openSUSE to OpenSUSE.

I hate when a company changes name.

+++

Always encountering a corporate rename it comes to mind desire to obscure or
bury the past. Anyone else remember this one?

GoldStar -> LG Electronics, Inc.

No, not me.

I bought an LG product once before making the name change discovery:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/818511-first-atsc-qam-tuner-recorder-lg-dr787t-8.html

Poor design, loaded with inferior quality capacitors. I haven't bought anything
branded LG since.

I got a few LG devices before I found out :-(

In Spanish, we have a saying: «La mona con vestido de seda mona se queda»,
literally "the monkey with silk dress is still a monkey", but google
translates as "the cute girl in silk dress stays".

:-D

- -- Cheers
Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" (Minas Tirith))