Re: [opensuse] openSUSE merits a better home page

On Thursday, 2017-11-02 at 22:21 -0000, Wols Lists wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

I just tell them that the proper name is openSUSE and leave it there.

But you can not convince people to use the new names if they don't want
to, and some don't. Even if they are wrong.

Or, having re-read my post, at least the first time it was correct.

I have been a SUSE user since SuSE 5.x :-)

Me too :-)

(Except I can't have been, if SuSE != SUSE :-)

Personally, I love the SuSE name. I don't use it because some people get
somewhat pissed, so I use the modern name instead. Thus I only use SuSE
when I want to stress the point that I'm talking about is old times.

It's pretty common to prefer nicks to polysyllabic names. In a written context,
SuSE was a good name, openSUSE very bad. Exactly how is one supposed to write it
as a first word of a sentence? That there would be any question is what makes it
bad, not whatever the answer may be.

I hate when a company changes name.

+++

Always encountering a corporate rename it comes to mind desire to obscure or
bury the past. Anyone else remember this one?

GoldStar -> LG Electronics, Inc.

I bought an LG product once before making the name change discovery:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/818511-first-atsc-qam-tuner-recorder-lg-dr787t-8.html

Poor design, loaded with inferior quality capacitors. I haven't bought anything
branded LG since.

In Spanish, we have a saying: «La mona con vestido de seda mona se queda»,
literally "the monkey with silk dress is still a monkey", but google
translates as "the cute girl in silk dress stays".

:-D

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/