Re: [opensuse] tumbleweed and vim question
On 11/03/2017 07:10 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:

Rather than giving up and learning how to use Windows 10, is there a
way to configure tumbleweed's vim to emulate the old vi syntax?

I used to just remove "/etc/vimdata". But that gets old with
Tumbleweed, because it keeps coming back with updates.

Now I am using ".vimrc" to hopefully do the same thing.

----- .vimrc (first 3 lines) -----
syntax off
set compatible
set viminfo=
----- end of .vimrc (first 3 lines) ---

I follow that with what was previously in my ".exrc". If you have a
".vimrc", it apparently doesn't look at ".exrc".

The first of those lines turns of syntax highlighting. The second line
is supposed to make it "vi" compatible. And the third line tells it to
not save your position in the file (for repositioning when you next edit
that file).

Those seem to pretty much do the trick for me.

Oh, and yes, I think I used "google" to find how to do that.