Re: [opensuse] fdisk can't find USB stick that dmesg finds, and Win10 mounts
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 12:53:59 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2017-11-03 at 03:39 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

I have 3 identical Adata UV128 16GB USB 3.0 sticks purchased on one invoice 370
days ago:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211760

All worked when new, but only one remains accessible via Linux (TW, 42.3, 42.2,
13.1; on more than one machine) any more. Kernel reports attachment in dmesg,
but errors except on the one I reformatted NTFS (to avoid the FAT file size
limitation, probably using W10, but I don't remember).

I attached dmesg tail so as to avoid line wrap. The last attachment notice is
from the NTFS one that works. One of the other two sticks is (FAT32, empty)
accessible via Win10. The other makes the device inserted message jump on and
off the screen over and over.

How does one go about troubleshooting what's happened, since I can't even tell
if a partition table exists on two of the three? Win10 diskpart syntax is
inexplicable, demanding a disk be selected first, then ignoring that selection
has been made. The one that is completely inaccessible has many family photos I
put there using 42.1. :-(

IMHO, backup (perhaps in Windows if it sees them) and replace.

Looking at your log, Linux does see the partition for an instant, then errors start to flow.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.