Re: [opensuse] another WD Green AV-GP HD failure
On 01/11/17 21:30, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Thus, in order to find out the LBA address of the bad sectors and
rewrite them I run "badblocks". And then, contrary to the common
knowledge, when I do that the bad sectors disappear and SMART reports no
pending sectors (!). I do not have an explanation, only that it has
happened to me every time I tried since I remember (say three years
back) and others.

That sounds like "badblocks -n". The possibility, also, is that
badblocks triggers the drive to do a rewrite internally.

When the bad sectors disappear, does the data stored in those sectors
disappear at the same time?

Cheers,
Wol