Re: [opensuse] Forums feeds.. Was: Being critical vs being negative
  • From: Roger Price <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 10:36:30 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 1 Nov 2017, Per Jessen wrote:
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
Another way of accessing the forums is through NNTP.

The correct server is news://nntp.opensuse.org
(https://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_nntp)

This FAQ is now out of date. Is there are more up to date description of NNTP access to openSUSE forums suitable for n00bs? I'm trying to use pan: I've been reading the pan manual at http://pan.rebelbase.com/manual/html/pan-getstart.html which says that by typing pan I should see lots of newsgroups. I see none. Setting up news://nntp.opensuse.org:119 in pan produces nothing. Are there ports to be opened in the firewall?

I'm surprised to read in the FAQ << 4 - Reader Setup: ... These servers are on port 119, do not require authentication >> There must be some security somewhere.

Any help or pointer to help would be much appreciated.

Roger