Re: [opensuse] another WD Green AV-GP HD failure [solved]

On Wednesday, 2017-11-01 at 18:35 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

Dave Plater wrote:

Guys, do NOT confuse dd_rescue from Kurt Garloff with GNU ddrescue!
Felix was using the latter! And dd_rhelp is part of the former!

That distinction I was trying to make before starting the process with this
disk. There had been no reference to dd_rhelp when I was trying to, so
apparently I picked the other one compared to my last use 3 years ago,
gnu_ddrescue.

No man page for dd_rhelp, only --help option, so I'm trying to follow:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/recover-data-from-a-damaged-hard-disk-using-dd_rhelp.html

It's gave me apparent syntax error.

# dd_rhelp /dev/sdc wd3200avvs.img info

Syntax is simple:

dd_rhelp {filename|device} {output-file}

that's all. It will automatically create a log. In your case:

# dd_rhelp /dev/sdc wd3200avvs.img

Seems too simple to be correct. :-p

You write the line with "info" at the end on a second terminal once there
is one running already, to ask info of the first one.

On completion, it generated this:
[quote]
Probing logfile location : '...wd3200avvs.img.log'
Log file exists already.
Found convenient logfile location '...wd3200avvs.img.log'
=== dd_rhelp INFO - 1 parsed chunks...
- Biggest unparsed chunk: 0 byte
- xferd(succ/err): 298.09 GiB(298.09 GiB/332.00 KiB)
100.00%(99.99%/0%)
left to parse: 0 byte
- End of file: EOF = 298.09 GiB

All your data has been dd_rescued !!

Please note that it doesn't mean that it has been RECOVERED:...[/quote]

So it seems all that must be done is dd that image back to the new HD when it
arrives. I'm not sure how long it took. I don't see in the 1MB+ log the start
time. Finish was about 20 minutes ago, so based on my last thread post here I
guess it took a bit over 5 hours.

Thanks to Greg, David, Dave and Carlos for the help!!!

For help, read "/usr/share/doc/packages/dd_rhelp/FAQ"

(there are other files in that directory).

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/