Re: [opensuse] another WD Green AV-GP HD failure
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 23:45:59 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2017-11-01 at 18:35 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

Dave Plater wrote:

Guys, do NOT confuse dd_rescue from Kurt Garloff with GNU ddrescue!
Felix was using the latter! And dd_rhelp is part of the former!

That distinction I was trying to make before starting the process with this
disk. There had been no reference to dd_rhelp when I was trying to, so
apparently I picked the other one compared to my last use 3 years ago,
gnu_ddrescue.

No man page for dd_rhelp, only --help option, so I'm trying to follow:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/recover-data-from-a-damaged-hard-disk-using-dd_rhelp.html

It's gave me apparent syntax error.

# dd_rhelp /dev/sdc wd3200avvs.img info

Syntax is simple:

dd_rhelp {filename|device} {output-file}

that's all. It will automatically create a log. In your case:

# dd_rhelp /dev/sdc wd3200avvs.img

You write the line with "info" at the end on a second terminal once there is one running already, to ask info of the first one.

For help, read "/usr/share/doc/packages/dd_rhelp/FAQ"

(there are other files in that directory).

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.