Re: [opensuse] another WD Green AV-GP HD failure
David Haller composed on 2017-11-01 20:18 (UTC+0100):

Dave Plater wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

ddrescue -d /dev/sdc dvdrfile.img dvdrfile.logfile

As Carlos suggested, use dd_rhelp to recover the recoverable.

Guys, do NOT confuse dd_rescue from Kurt Garloff with GNU ddrescue!
Felix was using the latter! And dd_rhelp is part of the former!

-dnh, *tsk*

That distinction I was trying to make before starting the process with this
disk. There had been no reference to dd_rhelp when I was trying to, so
apparently I picked the other one compared to my last use 3 years ago,
gnu_ddrescue.

No man page for dd_rhelp, only --help option, so I'm trying to follow:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/recover-data-from-a-damaged-hard-disk-using-dd_rhelp.html

It's gave me apparent syntax error.

# dd_rhelp /dev/sdc wd3200avvs.img info

produced
[quote]
Probing logfile location : './wd3200avvs.img.log'
Found convenient logfile location './wd3200avvs.img.log'
No info available since there's no readable './wd3200avvs.img.log'.

'info' option outputs information on current rescuing state by parsing this
log file that would have been created by a precedent use of dd_rhelp or
dd_rescue. Since there's no log file, it has nothing to display.

This happens if you haven't launched a dd_rhelp before.[/quote]

Eventually I figured out info needs to be left off to actually run the command.
It estimated about 94 minutes before reporting the first error. Files size is
already >10% of the input disk size....

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/