Re: [opensuse] These packages need to be selected to install: grub2
Dennis Gallien composed on 2017-11-01 15:01 (UTC-0400):

Felix Miata wrote:

I don't have Grub2 on any of my many openSUSE installations of TW, 42.3 or
older, though all machines are multiboot (all with generic MBR code), making
boot repair necessary very rarely, and easy to do. This I type on is one,
42.3 on RAID1, which like several others, is a direct upgrade from 42.1
using Zypper dup with Grub2 locked out via Zypper.

Online upgrade from 42.2 to 42.3 differs very little from doing ordinary
online security updates. Both even use 4.4 kernels. I start mine by first
booting to multi-user.target, logging in as root, locking the kernel,
editing the repo files in /etc/zypp/repos.d/ to point to 42.3 instead of
42.[1,2], then 'zypper ref', then upgrading only the fundamentals, via
script containing:

zypper -v in zypper libzypp libsolv-tools rpm openSUSE-release
zypper -v in device-mapper dmraid glibc lvm2 mdadm systemd udev

Only then do I follow with:

zypper -v up
zypper -v dup
zypper -v in kernel-default

This procedure has proven superbly reliable for me over several years,
probably back at least to around 11.2 or 11.3.

Interesting. Which method do you use to boot to multi-user target; does that
matter?

Most of my Grub stanzas end with " 3 ". With Grub Legacy and GFXboot, it's
trivial to backspace away the 3 and let the default target proceed, or change it
to a 5, to ensure seeing the KDM, TDM or KDM3 greeter if it isn't somehow
broken.

As to mattering, I like to keep Xorg shut down while doing any kind of updates,
so don't really know any ramifications of keeping it running while updating.

And how do you lock the kernel from the command line; I'm not
familiar with that?

# zypper al grub2
# zypper ll | grep gru
30 | grub2 | package | (any)

"Package Locks Management" is deep in the zypper man page.

Alternatively, 'zypper al *rub2*' should lock out every package that includes
the string rub2. If you really want to be picky, also lock os-prober and shim,
and search for every package that includes the string grub2 and lock each
separately, but the simple al grub2 seems adequate for 42.3:
# rpmqa grub
grub-0.97-210.3.x86_64
ruby2.1-rubygem-cfa_grub2-0.6.2-1.4.x86_64
# alias | grep qa
alias rpmqa='rpm -qa | sort | grep '

One more thing I do regardless of type of updating I'm doing, is setting the
immutable bit (with chattr) on every initrd that has proven successful at least
once:
# lsattr /boot/initrd-4.*
----i--------e-- /boot/initrd-4.4.76-1-default
----i--------e-- /boot/initrd-4.4.85-22-default
----i--------e-- /boot/initrd-4.4.87-25-default

I don't like "fixing" what ain't broke. :-)

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/