Re: [opensuse] Libreofficewriter problems printing embedded inage.
On 2017-10-23 20:47, Wols Lists wrote:
On 19/10/17 13:45, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 19/10/17 08:38 AM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
About the drum: take it out, gently shake it a bit, and you'll see there's
enough of the powder left......

Sure, and explain the justification for the change from PS as the printer
standard interface, something we've had since the UNIX days, to the PDF as a
standard.

Ask the printer manufacturers ...

Bear in mind that Postscript is a DOCUMENT description language, while
PDF is a PAGE description language. PDF requires much less working
memory, and if something goes wrong it is also a lot easier to find the
problem.

Oh.

I understand that it is easy to translate between ps and pdf, they are
related.

Okay, printers nowadays have masses of RAM but I object to fixing
problems by simply throwing resources at them (it's inefficient, and
often doesn't work anyway!). Back in the days of Postscript printers, it
was a very quick route to getting rejected off our company shortlist if
it was PS-only. We'd bought a fancy printer/copier for £10K or so, and
it regularly screwed up Postscript jobs - the only fix we ever found was
to throw away the document and re-type it (or find a backup from before
the problem). I didn't care what the alternative was, so long as it was
some kind of text stream - PCL, ESC/P, whatever.

Yes, I didn't know but I agree. My HP printer sometimes fails at a ps
job and I have to resubmit as PCL, I think. I have three drivers, one
for each language.

Anton printer has ten possible drivers, so he has to try them all and
choose the best.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.