Re: [opensuse] Libreofficewriter problems printing embedded inage.
On 18/10/17 08:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Ah, yes, found them. There are 10 HL-517 DN: you have to search for the
string "Brother hl-517" in YaST "add new printer Configuration" dialog.

Try them all. Just install them all with a slightly different name that
allows you to remember what driver each one uses. After you installed
them all, try them all with the same PDF page. Or the test printer
button in yast.

YaST, not CUPS setup. I insist.

I have no particular liking for Yast when it obscures what's going on.

I run 'find' and see very few PPDs in /usr/share that pertain to Brother.
And what i do see, and what I see when i pull up, as you suggest, they Yast
means of doing printer installation, seems to frighten me off.

It all seems involved in using guttenprint to convert the files to PDF for the
print chain.

Whihc gets back to my question about the conversion of the Linux printer
standard from PS to PDF.

It seems to me that there is a 'because its there' syndrome here, that
guttenrint could convert to PDF, so Yah, lets make PDF the standard.
maybe the processing load of rendering a PDF is less than the processing load of
a postscript. I don't know how that compares to HP printer language or Epson.

But with today's printers, we are dealing with printers that readily digest
those printer languages. My printer has more memory that the laptop under my
desk with the broken screen that is my SQL server. It has as many interfaces as
my PC. The only reason it doesn't have Wifi is that it was an option at the
time, rather that the built-in standard it is for printers now, and I saw no
need. I've use it in printer cable, USB and network modes at various times.
It's a wonderful printer. Twice now, it has said that the the drum needs
replacing and twice I've reset it and it still prints solid. I do have a spare
drum for the "if-and-when".

Until this change in the way the print chain operates, forcing files to PDF
along the way, it was giving wonderful renditions. To and fro with PDF is
degrading.

There are other issues with self-editing your PPDs.