Re: [opensuse] package naming question
On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello:

In rpm package names which part of the name is that can be used
as package name in rpm command? What is the rule?

Here are a few examples from my installed rpms list:

Mesa-libGL1-9.2.5-61.13.1.x86_64
kdemultimedia3-sound-3.5.10.1-11.1.4.x86_64
cpp48-4.8.1_20130909-3.2.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-4.0.git.270.g9490a-20.1.x86_64

For example I'd like to run rpm -e <package-name>.
How do I know what is the package name?

<Humor>
Apparently there is a secret handshake and communication among
packages where the names can appear quite unrelated. Like adding a
totally unrelated number (not in any way a number that comes from the
package itself) to the name of a library package. Sometimes using
'lib' in the name when it is a library, and sometimes not. I know
someone will say there is a system. I remain skeptical.
</Humor>

I usually stop when I hit the first -. Sometimes you can have more
numbers and it still finds the package. Sometimes not.

--
Roger Oberholtzer