Re: [opensuse] Fwd: Basically every WiFi device just hacked?
On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 04:05:57PM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:
On 16 October 2017 at 15:52, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 16 October 2017 at 15:36, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

Most WiFi routers have WEP, WPA, and WPA2.

WPA2 was the most secure and the recommendation.

No longer:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2017/10/16/wpa2_krack_attack_security_wifi_wireless/

But WPA2 comes in a couple variants. Does anyone know if any of them
are unaffected?

Thanks
Greg

I don't know, but I do know that SUSE are working on providing us fast
updates for SLE (which Leap will get equally fast) and Tumbleweed

So this may be addressable on the client end? I hope so!

Greg

I believe for absolute safety it needs to be addressed at every end -
which is pretty scary given how many Wi-Fi devices are out there (I
just bought a new Mi-Fi at the weekend..&sigh&)

For us I know we have hostapd (for people using openSUSE as a wifi AP)
and wpa_supplicant (for clients) patches in the works

As Richard writes, we will be releasing updates.

FWIW, if you behave the same with your laptop and cellphone in your own
wireless networks
with WPA compared to Wireless internet cafes / hotels / trains that have
unprotected wifi,
then you don't need to panic anyway.

SSL and VPN is usually to our rescue here.

Ciao, Marcus