Re: [opensuse] I need more ram, but I can't.
On 12/10/17 08:05 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Well, as you may know I replaced my laptop rust hard disk with an SSD
(~500GiB),
and added a 250 GB SSD to my desktop, which holds the swap and the root
filesystem (including /usr this time). I keep all the rust hard disks for home
and data.

Although my SATA speed is low for today (3 Gb/s, rev 2), after two or three
weeks I must say that I'm impressed: having the swap in SSD has improved my
desktop experience awfully.

I guess it is not only the higher read/write speed of the swap, but the seek
time. I also guess that swap is very fragmented, or the equivalent term. I
mean,
the kernel has to recover many memory chunks that are not contiguous, and an
SSD
shines in seek speed.

Some people note that an SSD for the system improves the application load
times,
but not "usage" times, once the apps become loaded. True, but some apps like
LibreOffice do benefit: it feels faster in use, too.

It is interesting that you bypass the code/data aspect of the SSD and emphasise
the swap in the light of the $SUBJ.

Of course if you didn't have the memory shortage, never swapped, then e could
get back to arguing about whether the code or the data (system vs Home, web's
/var) is a better use of (limited) SSD capacity.

Of course with falling price and increasing size, it all becomes moot.
We've been though this cycle before.

A century or so ago I wrote a disk optimizer for SCO/86. By the time I had it
written and working a new generation of rotating rust had come out: more tracks
under the head so less movement, more platters, denser encoding, faster
electronics/transfer, better pricing. It's not that my app couldn't speed up
the dinosaurs, its that anyone actually interested in speed would buy a faster
drive. My serious -- that is corporate -- customer base vanished and I was left
with argumentative nitpicking hobbyists who were too cheap to buy new hardware.

I can get a brand new 1T SATA SSD for around what paid for my rotating rust 1T
SATA four years ago. So there's a Moore's law in effect but it has a ratchet.
I can't buy another of those rotating rust drive for one fifth the price of four
years ago. I can't replace my Dell Optiplex with the same for one fifth the
price even though I can buy a new, faster (etc) for the same price.

Now look at automobiles. To replace that one you paid $35,000 for a few years
ago with a new one of the the same or similar will still cost you around
$35,000, which, strictly speaking, is actually cheaper due to inflation but
never mind, but you could buy a s/h "reconditioned" version of your old one for
a fraction the price.