Re: [opensuse] Why I'm not absolutely using CUPS
On 10/09/2017 09:35 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
But I don't want outsiders, even if they somehow get past the firewall or
penetrate my wifi password, from accessing devices like the router or the
printer. So they have IP based ACL. So 'known' devices have static IPs to
make
like more manageable.

I use IP reservations (in the router - or whatever is doing
dhcp) for this purpose.

Especially useful if your dhcp sever does a local dynamic dns
that does not rely on windows name resolution or wins server etc.

You still have the single subnet issue of course.

There's 5 or 8 Android print programs that find local printers just fine if
they are on the same subnet. I've gravitated to PrintHand Premium of late, but
its far from the only one.