Re: [opensuse] No network of leap 42.3
On 2017-10-09 16:29, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <> [10-09-17 10:25]:
On 2017-10-09 13:03, Per Jessen wrote:
Freek de Kruijf wrote:

Notice that when he configures dhcp, the router does not see the Linux
machine:

On
the machine in question when I boot into windows the router shows the
computer and assigned ip address(dhcp). When I boot into 42.3 nothing
shows up on the router, dhcp or static ip.

But maybe the router can not display a machine that has no IP address.

how can one have a networked machine w/o an ip address?

shouldn't the OP assign/reserve the machine an address in the router
config?

Not on a normal (home or simple) router. You only do that when you want
to assign a given IP to that MAC, always.

However, some routers can be configured to not give addresses to non
listed machines. This should be combined with an strategy to find rogue
computers.

I have seen the feature on simple routers only on the WiFi side, as a
security besides the password.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.