Re: [opensuse] Sufficiently patched OpenSUSE?
On 2017-10-06 23:03, Christopher Myers wrote:

On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 22:28 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Version numbers exist for a reason. Opensuse's method of patching but
leaving the number the same is just lazy (and dangerous). They should
be applying community pressure to those packages that use EQUAL in
their dependencies rather than GREATER OR EQUAL unless there is a
clearly demonstrated reason that can't possibly work.

No way.

I was under the impression that pretty much all of the standard
enterprise vendors worked this same way? Eg., SLES doesn't change
version numbers, but backports the patches into the baseline versions
of the packages to minimize the risk of something suddenly blowing up
since the requirements can't be met. And since openSuSE is basically
the origination for most things SLES, why would we expect anything
different?

Exactly.

Not only SLES and Leap, but the previous SuSE/Novell/SUSE stable
versions did the same. For decades: the 1990's, the 2000's, the
2010's... nothing new here.

Only Factory, now Tumbleweed, works differently.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.