Re: [opensuse] Which distros for ReiserFS?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 21:58:35 +0200
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

06.10.2017 19:49, Per Jessen пишет:
Dave Howorth wrote:

I asked:
Who is the best person to ask my kernel question, or is the
discussion archived online somewhere? I'd like to understand the
reasoning.

Jiri replied:
I checked the current status. At the moment we do not build the
reiserfs module at all.

From Leap423:

test99:~ # modinfo reiserfs
filename:
/lib/modules/4.4.71-1-default/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko

Same for Tumbleweed. As far as I can tell, it is still built on SLE15
as well. I /think/ that it was meant that module was marked as
not-supported on SLE15

Wed Aug 16 20:26:45 CEST 2017 - jeffm@xxxxxxxx

- supported.conf: mark reiserfs unsupported (FATE#323394).
ReiserFS is not supported in SLE15. ReiserFS file systems must be
transferred or converted before installing.
- commit 5f3f041

and such modules "are included in an extra RPM package
(kernel-FLAVOR-extra) and will not be loaded by default
(FLAVOR=default|xen|...) ... and the kernel-FLAVOR-extra package is
not part of the SUSE Linux Enterprise media" (from current SLE
documentation). This makes it effectively not available by default on
SLE. I do not think this policy also applies to openSUSE. For a start,
there is no kernel-default-extra package at all.

FWIW, I think we should just leave reiserfs available for anyone who
wants to use it. I can certainly accept it's not available/supported
in YaST, but otherwise people should be free to use if they so chose.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.