Re: [opensuse] rootmail does not work, no matter what
  • From: stakanov <stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 11:40:06 +0200
In data mercoledì 27 settembre 2017 08:14:32 CEST, Per Jessen ha scritto:
stakanov wrote:
In data lunedì 25 settembre 2017 23:28:37 CEST, Freek de Kruijf ha

scritto:
However postfix uses /etc/password to deliver email for root. Also
for other users in that file, even when they do not have an entry in
/etc/aliases.

Is this the case also for leap?

Yes. Mails are delivered locally to local users, and they are defined
in /etc/passwd. (there are other ways, but this is the vanilla
version).

Because in my system I have my users in etc/password that look alike
the others. Could you, in the latter case post here a sample entry of
etc password of a user that receives rootmail?

# grep root /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

/etc/passwd says nothing about mail processing though.

If you want mail to root sent to another user, you amend /etc/aliases
with e.g.:

root: per, \root

# grep per /etc/passwd
per:x:1000:100:Per Jessen:/home/per:/bin/bash

I still do not have this fixed (although the patch I installed for
filtering mail has stopped system crashes and 99% of filter issues, so
I guess soon I can give feedback to my bug as solved..)

Is this still the issue of root not receiving mails sent to root? You
said you went with my proposal #3 and re-enabled IPv6 - what happened
after that? Were you or were you not able to send an email to root?

This is still the issue. I had a lot of crashes, so I fixed my kmail before
with the kde people (BTW, I think I will reccomand this patch for the "general
population" to be released, because it really changed my life (less sysload,
less temp, correct filtering and .... up to now no system crashes to black
screen any more). I am really delighted by the results.

So, I still do not have rootmail. I enabled ipv6 and now when I send mail I do
not have any feedback, so no error message. But the mail does not arrive in
the /var/mail/root folder. Also entropia does not receive. But...I found out
the third user receives and received also the error diagnostic code for
entropia:
<entropia@localhost> (expanded from <root>): cannot update mailbox
/var/mail/entropia for user entropia. cannot open file: Permission denied

--A2BAA10592A.1506504873/localhost

Reporting-MTA: dns; localhost
Arrival-Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 11:34:33 +0200 (CEST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; entropia@localhost
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; cannot update mailbox /var/mail/entropia for user
entropia. cannot open file: Permission denied

Now let us see the difference in permissions....

entropia@roadrunner:/var/mail> cd /var/mail
entropia@roadrunner:/var/mail> dir
totale 112
-rw-r--r-- 1 connectix users 11573 27 set 11.34 connectix
-rw-r--r-- 1 mercurio users 0 27 lug 21.27 entropia
-rw-rwx---+ 1 root root 97541 23 set 00.57 root
-rw-rw---- 1 tss mail 0 10 set 09.41 tss

WTF, both users have same permissions. And why does entropia not receive mail
but connectix..does. And root doesn't????? And why doe I have user tss?? What
is user tss, I googled and did not find any answer.
Still more puzzled.