Re: [opensuse] rootmail does not work, no matter what
  • From: Freek de Kruijf <freek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 11:39:55 +0200
Op woensdag 27 september 2017 07:33:59 CEST schreef stakanov:
In data lunedì 25 settembre 2017 23:28:37 CEST, Freek de Kruijf ha scritto:
However postfix uses /etc/password to deliver email for root. Also for
other users in that file, even when they do not have an entry in
/etc/aliases.
Is this the case also for leap?
Because in my system I have my users in etc/password that look alike the
others. Could you, in the latter case post here a sample entry of etc
password of a user that receives rootmail?
I still do not have this fixed (although the patch I installed for filtering
mail has stopped system crashes and 99% of filter issues, so I guess soon I
can give feedback to my bug as solved..)

When you did not give alias_maps a value in /etc/postfix/main.cf right after
installing it on a new system - normally it will be assigned the value:
hash:/etc/aliases - postfix is using information from /etc/passwd. It will put
this email in /var/mail/<username>. rootmail will be delivered in:
/var/mail/root. It does not know where else to put that email. When you are
logged in as root on a console, right after finishing a command you will get a
message that you have new mail in /var/mail/root.
Mail for a user joe in /etc/passwd will be available in /var/mail/joe.
If you want rootmail delivered somewhere else, you have to assign that value
to alias_maps, in which case the file /etc/aliases gives you the possibility
to divert that email somewhere else. After changing something i /etc/aliases
you have to enable the change using the command newaliases.

--
fr.gr.

Freek de Kruijf
member openSUSE