Re: [opensuse] root in extended partition (42.3)
27.09.2017 06:01, listreader пишет:
Leap 423 upgraded from 422. Old drive has been in use probably since
10x. Bios. Generic code is in the MBR. I have 423 / in an extended
partition. Grub2 is in 423 /. All was good.

I used Yast2-bootloader module to change an option (boot loader
password, if it matters). I then exited normally (OK) and yast
rewrote/reinstalled the bootloader.

I would not expect it to reinstall bootloader at this point - just to
rewrite grub.cfg.

Next boot failed at a blinking
cursor.

I booted with Parted Magic and found that Yast had set the extended
partition itself as the boot partition, rather than / which was 2 or 3
partitions deep into the extended. I fixed that and rebooted
normally. I went into Yast2-bootloader and Boot Loader Location was
still correctly set there as Boot from Root Partition, even though that
is not what it apparently wrote to the bootloader.

So, my question is, is this expected behaviour?

I say, not. Either YaST should not allow you to select logical partition
at all, or it should not silently use different partition. Open bug report.