Re: [opensuse] HD docking station
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:17:36 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:
So, it does have eSATA and USB-3.0 connectors. And AFAIK SATA supports port
multiplication, so probably it should work with eSATA, too. The german
descriptions suggests it does ("up to 4 disks .... either USB 3.0 or eSATA")

Wow. Then it is a very interesting device for me: this machine doesn't
have USB3, but it has two eSATA ports.

OK, as there seems to be some interest....
I do have a computer with eSATA on the MB, so I connected the unit there, with
two drives in the slot. Looks like eSATA also doesn't support hotplugging (on
that board), so a reboot was needed.

But only one of the disks does show up!

To be on the safe side I repeated with 4 disks in (one of the two could have
been bad...), but no change.
Not sure wether this is an issue of the mainboard or of the unit, but you
shouldn't assume that 4-disk-access-via-one-eSATA just works. (and my unit
only has one eSATA connector!).

So if you need 4 disks you'd most likely have to use USB, i.e., get a USB3
extension card.....