Re: [opensuse] xrandr info HDMI-1 disconnected
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 11:15 AM, C. Brouerius van Nidek
<cbroueriusvannidek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After an interesting read about the inner working of xrandr I started
reading the manpage.
Got the version of my xrandr and got further info about my system.
And then I was lost in a swell of info and possibilities.

My problem with monitors is following:
I am using as my main monitor a Philips 196V3L, 18,5" 13766x768.
For movies and such I would like to use my television set with a bigger screen
via HDMI. The TV has one HDMI plug which is connected with a box from the TV
provider. If I disconnect the tv from the tv box and plug it in on my
motherboard I can use HDMI as my second monitor. That is not feasible for
daily use.
I found myself a HDMI cable with one HDMI connector and on the other end
three colored (green, blue and red) video plugs.

Unless it actually does conversion from HDMI (digital) to component
(analog) it probably is not going to work. There are cables that are
just adapters between different connectors and are suitable only with
special equipment. I doubt your TV actually accepts digital input on
component connector.

When I plug this cable into the HDMI plug of the motherboard and the three
colored video plugs int the TV set I expected to receive a signal on the TV
set. The television set is only showing the input "component" with these three
plugs inserted.

With xrandr I read HDMI-1 and -2 disconnected. Also DP1 and 2 are not
connected.
How can I force a connection with the HDMI cable and would that change
anything?

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170913
Qt: 5.9.1