Re: [opensuse] HD docking station
On 2017-09-25 17:40, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-09-25 15:22, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

I'm using the 4-port from Sharkoon,
https://www.amazon.de/Sharkoon-SATA-QuickPort-Quattro-Dockingstation/dp/B004QZJ67S
and am very pleased with them. No issues, I've been running anything from
single drives to 4-drive RAIDS on it. Disks just show up as standard USB
connected /dev/sd? devices.

Do you connect a single eSATA cable for the four disks?

Hmm, never tried it - my docking station has no eSATA port. I'm using the
USB-3.0 connection, which works fine.

I can't read the description in German, and I can't find that ASIN code
B004QZJ67S in amazon.com. But it mentions SATA in the name.

Ah sorry - just typed in the name in my search, which defaults to german
google...

So, it does have eSATA and USB-3.0 connectors. And AFAIK SATA supports port
multiplication, so probably it should work with eSATA, too. The german
descriptions suggests it does ("up to 4 disks .... either USB 3.0 or eSATA")

Wow. Then it is a very interesting device for me: this machine doesn't
have USB3, but it has two eSATA ports.

Previous multiple docking stations I saw needed one eSATA cable per
disk. And of course, 4 disks with USB2 are too slow.

Google here also finds the amazon.de article. Forcing Spanish results I
see a two disk station in amazon.es. None of the providers I use in
Spain are in the finds. Curious!

The duo model, local find:

https://www.pccomponentes.com/sharkoon-sata-quickport-duo-usb3-0-v2

It doesn't seem to have eSATA connection, only that it accepts SATA disks.

I have the one disk, usb2/eSATA model myself.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.