Re: [opensuse] HD docking station
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 14:22:48 +0100
Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

Does such thing work with openSUSE / linux?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073H2HLRK

Do you mean that exact model, or just 'this type of external bay'?

I think it should work as a regular USB 3/2 device.
What to look for when buying some?

I'm using the 4-port from Sharkoon,
https://www.amazon.de/Sharkoon-SATA-QuickPort-Quattro-Dockingstation/dp/B004QZJ67S
and am very pleased with them. No issues, I've been running anything from
single drives to 4-drive RAIDS on it. Disks just show up as standard USB
connected /dev/sd? devices.

What to look for? I had some cheap (single drive) one that claimed USB-2.0
but not even managed to get up to that speed. Also, ISTR that some don't
support SMART passthrough. But I wouldn't know how to find out without
having the device...