Re: [opensuse] rootmail does not work, no matter what
  • From: Freek de Kruijf <freek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 14:42:08 +0200
Op maandag 25 september 2017 13:05:45 CEST schreef Dave Howorth:
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 10:47:50 +0200

Don't know if this is related and a solution.

I stumbled into a problem with an unaltered postfix installation where a root
cronjob did send messages to root, which get delivered into /var/mail/root. I
wanted these messages send to an outside address, so I tested using mailx with
the to-address, user@xxxxxxxxxx, I wanted to use, which went OK.
After that I changed the line with root: in /etc/aliases to have this external
address. So this line now showed "root: user@xxxxxxxxxx". Performed the
command newaliases and using mailx did send a test message to root. It ended
up in /var/mail/root, not the intended location.
I had to change the line in /etc/postfix/main.cf with "alias_maps =" in
"alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases" for getting the email for root to that
external address.

--
fr.gr.

Freek de Kruijf