Re: [opensuse] rootmail does not work, no matter what

On 25/09/2017 08:44, Per Jessen wrote:
Dave Plater wrote:

I just tried to send mail from root to root and it failed, I have my
user set up to receive root mail from first installation.

I'm not sure (because I don't use that setting), but I think this is
just a line in /etc/aliases that directs root to your user account.

Note if logged in as root I enter mail, and there's no mail, it's
reply is no mail for user davepl.

Interesting. There must be more to it than a change of aliases.

I tried root root and no mail, root davepl, the mail arrives, davepl
root I get a non delivery notification. Therefore the root account
doesn't exist for receiving mail on my Leap:42.3 system. I suspect
this is as a result of the setting for user to receive root mail.

What does that NDR say ?

"mail -u root" replies "No mail for root" even when there is mail for davepl.
I've tried sending to various other system users and if the user exists mailx just states no mail, if the user doesn't exist, including aliases from /etc/aliases that don't exist as users.
Any idea what the "never_users list" is seems like that's the key to root mail not being delivered. mail -vv gives:
mail -d
user = davepl, homedir = /root
No mail for davepl
and mail -vv root gives:

Subject: test
sdfghj
.
EOT
LOG: MAIN
Warning: purging the environment.
Suggested action: use keep_environment.
LOG: MAIN
<= root@Arbuthnot U=root P=local S=447
arbuthnot:/data/packages # delivering 1dwOPe-0001wM-0X
LOG: MAIN PANIC
User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
LOG: MAIN
== root@arbuthnot R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (-29): User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
LOG: MAIN
** root@Arbuthnot: retry timeout exceeded
LOG: MAIN
<= <> R=1dwOPe-0001wM-0X U=mail P=local S=1598
delivering 1dwOPe-0001wS-5C
LOG: MAIN PANIC
User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
LOG: MAIN
== root@arbuthnot R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (-29): User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
LOG: MAIN
** root@Arbuthnot: retry timeout exceeded