Re: [opensuse] NVidia driver and Plymouth splash screen
  • From: listreader <suselist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 22:18:20 -0500
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 23:43:17 +0200
Bjarne Örn Hansen <bjarne.orn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I get a completely black screen, when starting. The driver I am
using, is NVidia 384.90. The video card is NVIDIA GeForce 1060 GTX
3GB.

You ask, how I installed it ... as I used NVIDIAs own isntaller, I am
going to use the repository nvidia drivers, even though they are
384.69. See if that changes anything.

I had a similar problem a few days ago when upgrading from Leap 422 to
423. I do use plymouth (it is not actually a plymouth problem here) and
that machine has a GT 1030 card with 384.69 drivers. Here's my solution,
perhaps it will work for you. (but proceed at your own risk; I'm an old
guy sometimes prone to brain gaps in giving instructions in their proper
order :-/

1 - boot to the 'black screen'
2 - ctrl-alt-1 to a console & log in as root
3 - service display-manager stop
4 - if you had nvidia drivers installed before, get rid of them, i.e.
"sh /path-to-your-nvidia-run-file --uninstall"
5 - zypper rm drm-kmp-default
*** important: if zypper can't find drm-kmp-default it will offer to
remove 'related' items, which are likely your kernels (!). Obviously,
don't do that! Instead answer N and go to step 6 below
6 - shutdown now -r
7 - after that reboot, ctl-alt-1 back to a console & log in as root
8 - mkintrd
9 - shutdown now -r
I got a graphical boot at this point but I still wanted my nvidia
drivers back...
10 - ctl-alt-F1 & log in as root
11 - service display-manager stop
12 - sh /path-to-your-nvidia-run-file