Re: [opensuse] Black screen when plugging in VGA connector
Carmen Bianca Bakker composed on 2017-09-23 21:46 (UTC+0200):

I have a Thinkpad X200 (Librebooted) that I'm faffing about with.
Everything works as it ought, except I get some odd behaviour when I

Using which OS?

plug in a VGA connector. A moment after it is plugged in, the screen on
the laptop goes black, except I can still see (and move) the cursor
within the bounds of the laptop screen. The external monitor is also
completely black. The cursor flickers a little bit.

After I unplug the VGA connector, everything goes back to normal.

This only happens when there is an actual monitor on the other end of
the cable. Plugging in a loose cable does nothing. I haven't yet tried
to connect to a different monitor.

I have the output of `journalctl` during the behaviour here:

http://susepaste.org/39924818

Particularly, this line sticks out to me:

Sep 23 21:31:02 carmen-thinkpad kernel:
[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO
underrun

I'm also suspicious of:
gnome-shell[2371]: Failed to use linear monitor configuration: No available CRTC
for monitor 'GSM W2442' not found

But it's not something I know how to interpret.

I have tried:

- Using IceWM instead of Gnome.

- Using LightDM instead of GDM.

- Using the VGA port on the dock instead of on the laptop

I would not expect any of the DMs to be responsible.

None of the above yielded positive results.

Maybe someone can help me?

You are currently using the modesetting Xorg driver. Try the intel Xorg driver.
Use zypper or yast to install xf86-video-intel and restart server or reboot.
First check /etc/X11/xorg.conf, xorg.conf.d/ and xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids to
see if your gfxchip is specifically configured to use the modesetting driver,
and if so, comment it out or otherwise unset it.

search its archive for a match to those error messages. It may have a workaround
or at least be a known problem.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/