Re: [opensuse] logrotate
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:02:13 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

But there are several things that store user files under /var. There
is mail (possibly), faxes, crontabs, and I don't remember what.

I see postfix also uses /var/mail by default - not a good default, I
would say, but I've been running a separate mailserver for so long.

Per user systemd timers reside on home. How does systemd track the
situation? Well, I think systemd is not aware of a change unless you
tell it to read the files again, so it does not matter where they
reside. Of course, the mount must be active. I suppose it might also
mount the home automatically prior to running the job? No way the
job itself can do that.

I'm not sure what it is you need mounted (/home ?), but
(systemd-)automount can take care of it.

I was wondering aloud about what happens when a user has timers
enabled. Does it automatically mount home in time for the timer to
run?

Once the timer fires and systemd-user tries to access whatever the
service unit needs, it would be mounted.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.1°C)