Re: [opensuse] "My Thinkpad, Nouveau and Me"
On 12/09/17 21:38, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
Op dinsdag 12 september 2017 08:57:40 CEST schreef Basil Chupin:
I am the proud owner of a Thinkpad model T530 on which I boldly
installed Leap 42.3. The installation naturally installed the nouveau
driver for the graphics nVidia chip soldered onto the motherboard.

However, I want to install a proper nVidia driver to replace the
'nooovooo' driver but I am totally perplexed about which driver I should
use. I tried installing the latest 384.69 driver but somehow this did
not go down well (no hassles with installing it on the Desktop...) and
ended up having to re-install 42.3 from scratch.

The chip on the Thinkpad has mysterious numbering on it such as GF108M,
NVS 5400M and Ivybridge Mobile.

I have looked up 'giggle' for info but I only got more confused. I know
that there is one person on this list who is a guru re Thinkpads and I
would dearly love to hear from him re my "problem" or from anyone else
who may be of help to moi.

All assistance gratefully accepted.

BC
A dual graphics model ? Then use Bumblebee

Thanks. I am waiting on the delivery of a magnifying glass so that I can
read what is written on the opensuse Wiki page(s) generally and re
Bumblebee specifically :-).

two recent record-breaking discoveries in the software world may assist
you, KDE/Plasma has a magnifying glass oddly labled kmag, and firefox (and
most other browsers) will enlarge the text displayed using the key
combination <ctrl><+>. but be extra careful with the latter as mistakenly
using <ctrl><-> results in even smaller text display.