Re: [opensuse] "My Thinkpad, Nouveau and Me"
On 12/09/17 21:19, Dave Plater wrote:

On 12/09/2017 08:57, Basil Chupin wrote:
I am the proud owner of a Thinkpad model T530 on which I boldly
installed Leap 42.3. The installation naturally installed the nouveau
driver for the graphics nVidia chip soldered onto the motherboard.

However, I want to install a proper nVidia driver to replace the
'nooovooo' driver but I am totally perplexed about which driver I should
use. I tried installing the latest 384.69 driver but somehow this did
not go down well (no hassles with installing it on the Desktop...) and
ended up having to re-install 42.3 from scratch.

The chip on the Thinkpad has mysterious numbering on it such as GF108M,
NVS 5400M and Ivybridge Mobile.

I have looked up 'giggle' for info but I only got more confused. I know
that there is one person on this list who is a guru re Thinkpads and I
would dearly love to hear from him re my "problem" or from anyone else
who may be of help to moi.

All assistance gratefully accepted.

BC

Use hwinfo --gfxcard to get the proper model number. Needs to be run
as root. Use the nvidia website driver page to find out the driver
number.
Regards
Dave P

Thanks, David, did that which resulted in (abridged):

Hardware Class: graphics card
  Model: "nVidia GF108M [NVS 5400M]"
  Vendor: pci 0x10de "nVidia Corporation"
  Device: pci 0x0def "GF108M [NVS 5400M]"
  SubVendor: pci 0x17aa "Lenovo"
  SubDevice: pci 0x21f5
  Revision: 0xa1
  Driver: "nouveau"
  Driver Modules: "drm"

When I went to the NVidia site it "told" me that I needed a legacy
driver 340.102 which I duly tried to install only to be shown the middle
finger with the added words that the driver was compiled with (?) gcc
version 5 but the (?)kernel was compiled with (?)gcc version 7 (or what
that vice-versa? don't remember).

Fortunately I kept my cool this time and was able to revert painlessly
back to the noovooo driver :-).

BC

--
You are NOT entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your
INFORMED opinion. Nobody is entitled to be ignorant.