Re: [opensuse] logrotate
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:35:19 +0200
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

Op zaterdag 16 september 2017 17:35:44 CEST schreef Per Jessen:
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
Op zaterdag 16 september 2017 15:18:50 CEST schreef Andrei
Borzenkov:
15.09.2017 12:03, Per Jessen пишет:
there is also /var/spool/cron/tabs ...

Right, but from an admin perspective, I'm not so interested in
the user
tabs - except when backing up. In fact, I think they're in the
wrong place - they ought to be in ~/crontab (or something
similar).

Now let's take a system with several thousands users with NFS
mounted home directories. Do you seriously suggest that crond must
scan all of them every minute to find out whether ~/crontab
changed?

Exactly.. Not me. Certainly not when we have such beautiful tools
available like saltstack.

Okay, you got me curious - what does saltstack have to do with user
crontabs ?

Allows you to have one single timer of cronjob in one place to take
care of a whole bunch of machines etc. etc.

Maybe a terminology issue, but user != admin ? To me a user might log
in from multiple machines/desktops, but usually doesn't do any admin.
Typically their cronjobs control what happens on their "own" desktop.

My private setup triggers a
pkg.upgrade on all minions f.e. So no cron jobs per machine/user, just
one job handled by salt. A timer could easily have this done over
night,. The example may not be the perfect one, but there's lots more
salt can handle from one central point.

Sure, I just don't really make the connection to user cronjobs. I must
be missing something.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.1°C)