Re: [opensuse] logrotate
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:27:27 +0200
Op zaterdag 16 september 2017 17:35:44 CEST schreef Per Jessen:
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
Op zaterdag 16 september 2017 15:18:50 CEST schreef Andrei Borzenkov:
15.09.2017 12:03, Per Jessen пишет:
there is also /var/spool/cron/tabs ...

Right, but from an admin perspective, I'm not so interested in the
user
tabs - except when backing up. In fact, I think they're in the
wrong place - they ought to be in ~/crontab (or something similar).

Now let's take a system with several thousands users with NFS mounted
home directories. Do you seriously suggest that crond must scan all
of them every minute to find out whether ~/crontab changed?

Exactly.. Not me. Certainly not when we have such beautiful tools
available like saltstack.

Okay, you got me curious - what does saltstack have to do with user
crontabs ?
Allows you to have one single timer of cronjob in one place to take care of a
whole bunch of machines etc. etc. My private setup triggers a pkg.upgrade on
all minions f.e. So no cron jobs per machine/user, just one job handled by
salt. A timer could easily have this done over night,. The example may not be
the perfect one, but there's lots more salt can handle from one central point.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team