Re: [opensuse] logrotate
On 2017-09-16 08:15, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-09-15 19:42, Per Jessen wrote:

What I find less easy is to tell when cronjob is going to fire

a) at 30 minutes past every 3rd hour.
b) at 2,17,32,47 minutes past every hour
c) 10 past midnight on the 1st of the month.
d) Sunday at 04:00.

LOL. Those are not actually cronjobs :-P

They are scheduling entries, like I said: "... _when_ a cronjob is going
to fire". I've got plenty of them on various machines.

It is a script concoction SuSE made many years ago. More than two
decades ago, I think. And it got much easier on recent versions to
control. On a computer that runs 24*7, they will run same time as
yesterday :-P

Huh?

I suppose you are referring to the hourly/daily/weekly/monthly jobs. You
just drop a script in the corresponding directory and it runs at those
intervals. But those jobs are not themselves, strictly speaking,
cronjobs. There is a single system cronjob that fires a SuSE script,
which in turn starts all those scripts, one after the other.

They don't have an exact time to run, but a range, configured in
"/etc/sysconfig/cron".

Now that I think: with systemd timers, it seems the idea is one timer
per job.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.