Re: [opensuse] logrotate
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:03:15 +0200
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

14.09.2017 21:19, Carlos E. R. пишет:
With cron, I just have to list the directory and know what should
run instantly.

That has never been true, even less on (open)SUSE. cron can execute
arbitrary command that itself can gather further scripts to execute
from elsewhere.

So not so different from a systemd service unit.

I like being to get a quick overview or what runs when:

cat /etc/crontab /etc/cron.d/*

there is also /var/spool/cron/tabs ...

Right, but from an admin perspective, I'm not so interested in the user
tabs - except when backing up. In fact, I think they're in the wrong
place - they ought to be in ~/crontab (or something similar). Of
course, that might make them run on multiple machines
(nfs-mounted /home).

Historical crontab format does not include user name (because it was
by definition per-user), while /etc/cron.d inserts one more field with
it. So they are not directly interchangeable.

Aha, thanks for explaining that.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.9°C)