Re: [opensuse] logrotate
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:38:50 +0300
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

14.09.2017 21:19, Carlos E. R. пишет:
With cron, I just have to list the directory and know what should run
instantly.

That has never been true, even less on (open)SUSE. cron can execute
arbitrary command that itself can gather further scripts to execute
from elsewhere.

So not so different from a systemd service unit.

I like being to get a quick overview or what runs when:

cat /etc/crontab /etc/cron.d/*

there is also /var/spool/cron/tabs ...

In particular, you have at least /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly} that
do not follow normal cron file format, so you need to look elsewhere
to just find out when these are run.

Yeah. I was never a friend of that idea.

Then there is /etc/cron.d which again deviates from standard cron
file format.

Oh, I wasn't aware. (it's been the standard format for me since
forever :-) )

Historical crontab format does not include user name (because it was
by definition per-user), while /etc/cron.d inserts one more field with
it. So they are not directly interchangeable.