[opensuse] logrotate
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:48:35 +0100

Hi list,

looking through my disk usage I realized /var/log uses 2GB :o
and what do I see?

woodstock:/var/log # ls -lh zypper.log
-rw-r----- 1 root root 1.6G Sep 13 14:23 zypper.log

why isn't it rotated/compressed? Ah: this is now handled by systemd instead
of cron, and disabled by default :(

woodstock:/var/log # systemctl status logrotate
‚óŹ logrotate.service - Rotate log files
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/logrotate.service; static; vendor
preset: disabled)

Not sure if that is a sane choice for a TW system that typically has several
'zypper dup' per week. The 1.6GB is the logs from just one year...