Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On 2017-09-08 21:22, Wols Lists wrote:
On 08/09/17 19:53, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The more of those 10 msec delays, the longer the whole wipe takes.

I tend to do 10MB just so I don't have to think about the capacity of
a single track. 10MB is plenty big to keep the disks write buffers
full, but small enough not to impact the system RAM.

Noted, thanks :-)

Note also that CHS (cylinders, heads, sectors), which used to define
track size, is now archaic and meaningless.

Yes, I know that.

Modern drives now use "constant angular velocity". Which may mean that
declaring a drive as 5200rpm or 7000rpm is also a little meaningless :-)

I don't understand this. You mean they change rotational speed (rpm)
based on some criteria?

Basically, the physical size of a sector is now constant. So a track
near the centre of a disk may have a capacity of 1MB, say. Move further
out, double the radius say, and you've doubled the physical length of
the track if I remember my maths right. So this track now will store
2MB. Move out the same distance again and that track will store 3MB.

Ah, yes.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.