Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On 08/09/17 19:53, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The more of those 10 msec delays, the longer the whole wipe takes.

I tend to do 10MB just so I don't have to think about the capacity of
a single track. 10MB is plenty big to keep the disks write buffers
full, but small enough not to impact the system RAM.

Noted, thanks :-)

Note also that CHS (cylinders, heads, sectors), which used to define
track size, is now archaic and meaningless.

Modern drives now use "constant angular velocity". Which may mean that
declaring a drive as 5200rpm or 7000rpm is also a little meaningless :-)

Basically, the physical size of a sector is now constant. So a track
near the centre of a disk may have a capacity of 1MB, say. Move further
out, double the radius say, and you've doubled the physical length of
the track if I remember my maths right. So this track now will store
2MB. Move out the same distance again and that track will store 3MB.

In other words, talking about the capacity of a single track is
meaningless, a hangover from a simple world when it really was like that.

Cheers,
Wol