Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2017-09-08 15:27, Felix Miata wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

Now it's several hours into

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=32768

Then no point in the above, but you should read it, anyway.

And give dd 1 MB size at least (one track).

???

bs=1M

I was told disk tracks are 1MB in size. So use that size or more, better
speed.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M status=progress

That changes over time, as density increases so does disk tracks capacity.

1MB is a several year old number.

And the advantage of writting out a full track at a time is it
significantly reduces the likelihood of the drive running out of data
in the middle of writing a track. If it runs out, it has to wait 10
msecs or so for the platter to spin back around.

The more of those 10 msec delays, the longer the whole wipe takes.

I tend to do 10MB just so I don't have to think about the capacity of
a single track. 10MB is plenty big to keep the disks write buffers
full, but small enough not to impact the system RAM.

Greg