Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping

Felix Miata wrote:

We can investigate whether knowing the LBA we can find what file is
affected. What filesystem is it?

EXT3.

https://www.smartmontools.org/browser/trunk/www/badblockhowto.xml#rfile

Now it's several hours into

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=32768

Then no point in the above, but you should read it, anyway.

And give dd 1 MB size at least (one track).

which reports no progress state.

status=LEVEL
The LEVEL of information to print to stderr; 'none'
suppresses everything but error messages, 'noxfer' suppresses the final
transfer statistics, 'progress' shows periodic transfer statistics

# smartctl -x /dev/sdb | grep rent_Pending reports

197 Current_Pending_Sector -O--CK 200 200 000 - 0

so what needed doing seems to have been done already, but I plan to let dd
run
to completion before beginning restore process.

Don't forget to run "smartctl --test=long /dev/sdb".

And later make sure the smartd daemon is enabled to run weekly at least
the short test.

Arghhhh! 6+ days on this so far including 6.75 hours to restore, and now with
the hurricane almost on my doorstep I'm facing another lengthy process of
unknown length. How long is this supposed to take?

Smartctl man page is an abomination. It's so big I can't find anything about
background/foreground/progress. I tried

smartctl --test=long -t offline /dev/sdg

and it tells me it can only run one test at a time. How can I run it in
foreground and have it report progress?

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/