Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
Andrei Borzenkov composed on 2017-09-04 06:27 (UTC+0300):

Felix Miata composed:

Badblocks 1.42.11 on the WD Green AV HD has reached 51.26% completion with
(4/0/0 errors) in 65:25:00, 4 bad sectors in sequence, but the log's block
numbers have me somewhat perplexed. The output was continuing with 0/0/0
until
well after 41.8% was reached. Now the log shows:

984662252
984662253
984662254
984662255

As I didn't specify -b4096 (and should have, given its sloth), those numbers
look like they must be badblocks' own default 1024b block size numbers rather
than logical sector numbers or filesystem block numbers, not really what I
would
expect it to log on a filesystem formatted with 4k block size (as tune2fs
reports).

How is filesystem block size related? badblocks works with device,

It's not that hard to confuse concepts of filesystem and device when working in
a state of frustration over a single process estimated to consume 5+ days. :-(

Quoting myself from https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-09/msg00045.html
1 Sep 2017 17:15:43 -0400

I have running now:

badblocks -o bb-wd20eurs -s -n /dev/sdb1

not filesystem. From the man page "For this reason, it is strongly
recommended that users not run badblocks directly, but rather use the -c
option of the e2fsck and mke2fs programs
Knowing it would be a lengthy process, I wanted to start badblocks before going
to bed, hours after I should already have been in bed asleep. Whether I actually
saw that, was oblivious to it, ignored it, or other, I hazard to guess.

Another thing: I don't see in the badblocks man page what the components of
(#/#/#) are supposed to represent. :-(

Count of (read errors, write errors, corruption errors) where
"corruption" means block read from device differs from block written to
device.

Thank you! Where did you find it?

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/